Wednesday, April 13, 2011

KL Int'l Photoawards 2011...

Growing Up by Bill Gekas

Earlier this year I decided to take a shot at creating and entering a photo into an international contemporary portrait competition, the KL International Photoawards 2011.

Contemporary portraiture is something i'm not too sure about and definitely not my strongest area preferring perhaps a more classical style in my work.
The word "contemporary" sort of throws me out as it's such a subjective term, but a couple of weeks ago I was notified by the organizers that I was one of the 45 individual finalists with my submission 'Growing Up'.

My studio lit accepted entry sort of falls into a contemporary style leaning more towards fine art. With this recent experience i've learnt that getting out of your comfort zone once in a while is a good thing to do in order to progress in your chosen craft.

The exhibition opening night and announcement of winners will be on 19th April and all finalists photos in print and on display till the 4th May 2011 at White Box MAP gallery in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia before perhaps travelling to Singapore and London as per last years event. Unfortunately I won't be attending the exhibition, but will be looking forward to receiving the exhibition catalogue with all the finalists works in print.