Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Kit lens loser...

Sardines by Bill Gekas

Here's another one I took the other day. As usual i'm going to share my lighting diagram but this post is more about the kit lenses that come with most prosumer type cameras. You know, that slow zoom lens that comes with a camera and is the first thing we want to swap out or get rid of.
Ok, so i'm guilty of that too and always prefer shooting with a fast set of quality primes but the other day I decided to use my older 10MP dslr and the cheap 18-55 kit lens as they were both sitting idle for so long.
I lit the scene with enough light to base my aperture at f8 utilizing the lenses sweet spot, and the older entry level 10MP dslr which had some dust on it is still more than capable.
Looking at the files on screen during post I realized that even the kit lenses have excellent clarity at their sweet spots to the point I wouldn't be able to tell the difference if somebody threw two files at me and said which lens is which. Perhaps something to think about in this age of trying to have the latest and greatest, maybe we'll think more about the art of photography than our gear, it could be a good thing.

Sardines lighting diagram