Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Losing control...




As most already know, my genre in photography is stylized conceptual portraiture. It's what i'm known for and what I enjoy the most, creating something slightly surreal out of nothing more than an idea. It's been the type of work where i've had complete control from the idea stage, the aesthetics to the technicals, from the beginning right to the very end and it's been reflected with a successful body of work produced over the years that we're proud of. However sometimes we reach a point where things get too comfortable, almost easy, and as tempting as it is, throwing money into bigger personal projects is not the solution in creating more emotive and meaningful work, for me.

So almost a year ago I decided to take a detour in my photography journey by shooting street photography, a type of psychological reset for myself. A genre i've had no past experience with as it's way out of my comfort zone and the only genre that was really going to challenge me on many levels. Up until recently I thought of this as a detour in my journey, but it may be a bridge instead. If it's a detour then i'll be back on the main road again but with a different perspective on my portraiture, if it's a bridge then it'll lead me towards a different style of portraiture. Either way, a win situation as the whole purpose in this psychological reset is to ultimately further myself as a photographer that's looking for meaning, knowingly i'll come out a better portrait photographer because of it. After all, we still have many more awesome concepts to shoot with Athena!

In the meantime, i've put together a brief slideshow on a selection of my street work i've shot in the last 11 months documenting my journey. This side street project i've called 'Losing Control' as that's what i've felt since this detour. I have no control in the streets like I do in my chosen genre, the only control I have is where to point the camera and when to press the shutter. Like my known work with Athena it was never intended as a project but with time it's sort of evolved into one. And I always believe the best projects are usually the ones that never start off as projects but sort of evolve into them. The irony... I've found losing control frustrating, yet very liberating.

Thank you to everyone that's been riding this creative journey with us, we hope it never ends!